Wednesday 13 January 2010

New Decade, New Year, New Blog

For some bizarre reason the passage of time really fascinates me. I don't shy away from it or fear it as others do, and New Years Eve is a real occasion for me. This time especially since it was the end of the noughties, and 2009 was a tough year for me personally, there was a real sense that I had made it through the other side alive, and that was something to be happy about.

I know how melodramatic I sound, but really, think about the last decade for a moment. The world as we knew it changed completely, and we saw more violence and fear since when? The Cold War?

You know what I'm talking about when I mention the world changing, and I'm sure you all know exactly where you were and what you thought when you saw the events of that day in September unfold. Baudrillard called it 'the absolute event', and I think he was right. The events of September 11th was the first time that a moment in history had unfolded to an international audience almost as it happened, and I think since then there has emerged this awareness that one day can change everything, and history can happen right in front of your eyes. This is all just my humble opinion, and I don't want to bore you with it for too long, but I find it really interesting that on that day everything was present, everything was happening 'now', and since then (and maybe this really is just me) our concern has been more about what's happening next. One thing after another, no longer living in the present but living in a perpetual and hypothetical future.

Anyway, I digress. What excites me most about it being 2010 is that it's the first time I really felt the enormity of the passing of time, probably because I was too young to appreciate the millennium properly and this is the first 'new decade' I have seen in as an adult.

I must admit, I was rather disappointed on New Years Day not to find that everything had become white and chrome overnight. Nevertheless, we are now officially living in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment