Thursday 21 January 2010

And now for a TV show I DO love...


'Brothers & Sisters' is now in its 4th series, and I love it more and more as time goes on. I've recently given myself a massive financial headache by buying the first two series on DVD - and I don't even care (as I write this I'm watching series two on the other half of my computer screen).

It's a comedy-drama surrounding a family living in California, and it stars pretty much everyone, including; Sally Field, Calista Flockhart, Rachel Griffiths, Rob Lowe and even Wales' own Matthew Rhys. It's hilarious, compelling and dramatic all in one breath. When talking about things like this show I generally surmise with the sentence: 'You'll laugh, you'll cry - it'll change your life'. In this case I stand by that statement completely.

The reason I love it goes beyond mere entertainment. 'Brothers & Sisters' is great because it fully and intelligently explores, in each episode, what it means to be part of a family in the 21st Century, all the complexities, the fights, the break-ups and the make-ups, the politics and the pain. Ah, I could talk about it forever. From Justin's drug problems to Kitty's politics, from Nora's discovery that her husband was having an affair for almost 20 years to the part said mistress comes to play in all of their lives after William's death (in episode one). It's all brilliant.

There's a scene in the episode I'm watching now that sums it all up for me really.

After discovering that Justin has resumed his recreational taking of pain medication (after coming back from Iraq wounded), the family rally around and hold a detox night-in for him. A few hours of sweating, shouting, shaking and locking the doors leave them all exhausted. In the early hours of the morning, the eldest two of the three boys are having a bit of a heart-to-heart over a cup of coffee, really they're just feeling sorry for themselves. In walks Nora (Sally Field), their mother, obviously sleep deprived, eyes half open and interrupting their conversation comes out with this gem:
"You're both wrong...get over it, you're both better men than your father. And you were as good a dad to Justin today than William Walker ever was. I have never in my life been so proud of you."
With that earth shattering piece of motherly love, she exits the room as if she had just been talking about the weather.

This is the magic of this show. The writing and the acting are exquisite.

Anyway, I could talk about this forever but the new series starts in less than an hour so I'd better be off. Real life stops for good TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment