Thursday 4 March 2010

What colour is the future?

I just re-read the first post in this new blog of mine (which I seem terribe at maintaining), and smirked at the part where I expected everything to turn white and chrome overnight on New Year's Eve. I hate people who laugh at their own jokes, but I really did expect there to be a tangible change associated with that passing of time.

It's taken me three months to feel it, that's all.

I recently saw a documentary and a series of vlogs online that have inspired me to make changes in my life, I see it as a kind of personal future-proofing, but it isn't really.

The documentary is called 'No Impact Man' and I heartily encourage you to watch it. It's about Colin Beavan and his family, who embark on a year-long project to live in New York City with no net impact on the environment. To quantify it with a short list, this means:
- No buying of anything new
- Eating only locally grown and therefore seasonal foods
- No disposable anything (yes, that includes toilet paper)
- No consumption of electricity
- No non-sustainable travel (only walking and cycling allowed)
- No trash

Needless to say - they did it.

The ongoing No Impact Project is inspiring hundreds of people world-wide to try the experiment for just one week, and to see how that affects how the individual sees their environmental impact.

One week-long-no-impacter charted her progress with daily vlogs, which can be found on her facebook page. These videos, along with the documentary, inspired me to undertake my own project. This week I have made a commitment to live my life pretty much as I always have, but not to create any waste along the way. I'm blogging about it on my local newspaper's website, and on my twitter page so this blog might slow down for a while.

So. My concluding question is: Is the future green?

No comments:

Post a Comment