Thursday 4 February 2010

Techno Techno Techno Techno...

Okay so I thought it was about time I tackled the inevitable subject of new technology in this new decade of ours. It's not a subject I am particularly knowledgeable about, but I am an ardent consumer/inexperienced borderline technophobe so that's the angle I'm coming from (And if that appears to be a contradiction-in-terms well, that's because I am a contradiction-in-terms. Deal with it.)



So the world seems to be going 'ooooh' 'ahhhh' 'wooooo' over Apple's latest new release like kids at a fireworks display. Not to say that Apple products are superficially shiny and pretty with no substance to them at all...of course. Ahem. No, I believe I bridge the gap between the iLover and the iHater - iLove my iPod, but iHate (or at least i'Mnotconvinced about) the iPad.

I've watched Steve Jobs' keynotes lecture about this new toy, so I've at least tried to make an informed decision before disregarding this product out of hand.

The way iSee it (I could go on forever making silly iPuns, really), the iPad is the product of a smartphone (let's face it, the iPhone) and a laptop. Only it's bigger and better than the iPhone and smaller and not as good as a laptop. Really, my confusion with it is that I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it. It's an internet browser, but my laptop does that surprisingly well. It's a music store, but my iPod AND my laptop cover that area of my life. It plays videos and games, but my laptop AND iPod do that. You can email from it, but my laptop AND Blackberry do that. Can you see where I'm going?

For me, the iPad is a pretty little gadget, but ultimately an unnecessary one. It doesn't do anything revolutionary that iNeed a gadget to do. Jobs keeps banging on about how great it is to 'have the internet in your hands' in his speech, but with the technology I already have I can hold the internet in my hands (or just the one hand in the case of my phone).

To sum up before iStart repeating my self and you get sick of all the iPuns, the iPad will be great, in 5-10 years when it can do everything a laptop can (like word processing), but at the moment iThink I'll just stick to what I know and spend my money on food, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment